5 things on Sunday is a weekly meme created by reads and treats where she lists a topic and we post 5 things to go along with it.
1. Get organized. I don’t know about you, but if I didn’t have organization when it comes to blogging, nothing would ever get done and I would absolutely lose my mind. We each have our own styles and way of doing things, so just organize the way that fits you best. For me, it means having a bookmark list of all of the weekly memes I’m interested in participating in. I have a blog planner that tracks all of my review books when the dates they are due, sign ups for book tours, cover reveals, and everything else. I schedule posts ahead when I can.
2. Don’t overwhelm yourself with too much. I know we’re all book lovers here, but there is such a thing as too many books. *gasp* Don’t overbook yourself with ARC’s. I made that mistake one month last year. Thankfully I was able to get through it without any problems but it was really stressful. Don’t worry about posting every day unless you really want to and you don’t have any problems coming up with something to write about. If you get burnt out, just be honest with your readers and tell them you’re going to step back for a little while. Don’t be ashamed. We all get there at some point.
3. Don’t obsess over stats. I’m working on this myself. Sometimes I’ll see a blogger posting about how they had so many thousand views just last week and I’m like, “Say what?! I’m not even sure people know I exist! How do you do that?” I stressed myself out about it for a long time, but I realized it really isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things. At least not to me. The stress isn’t worth it. You’ll have what you have. Just get out there and be active on social media to make your presence known. You’ll get recognition, even if it’s very gradual and slow. You’ll get those big stats one day. If you stress over it, you’ll just wear yourself down.
4. Have a social media presence. This isn’t an absolute necessity, but it will certainly be helpful in gaining followers and attracting readers to your blog. I have a Facebook page for my blog where I share all of the posts that I have on here. I’m not very active on Twitter because I’m still trying to figure out exactly how everything works over there, but when I remember to, I share my posts there as well. Lately I’ve been gaining a lot of extra followers by doing that. I’m also on Goodreads and Instagram. Not everyone is active on all social media platforms so you have the opportunity to reach different people on different sites.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. We’re all in this together! Whether you have questions about blog design, social media, getting more followers, or anything else, there is someone out there who can help you. You can reach out to fellow bloggers. There are a number of blogger support groups on Facebook and I’m sure Goodreads has something like that to offer as well. Just know you’re not alone! You can do this.
What tips do you have to offer other bloggers?